Natural sleep aids have become increasingly popular as people seek alternatives to prescription medications for improving their sleep quality. In this comparison, we will delve into the details of Sleepsyl™ and Relaxium. Keep reading to find answers to all your questions about Sleepsyl™ and Relaxium, including which has the better formula, if there are any side effects, and why company reputation matters. For your convenience, each question has a short-quick answer as well as a longer, more in-depth answer to satisfy your curiosity. By the end of this analysis, you’ll have a comprehensive understanding of these natural sleep aids, enabling you to make an informed choice.
What Is Sleepsyl™?
Sleepsyl™ is a sleep aid by Approved Science® that aims to help individuals fall asleep and stay asleep. It incorporates a blend of ingredients, including Melatonin, amino acids, and herbal extracts, known for their potential to enhance sleep quality and relaxation. The formula is based on scientific research and clinical studies.
What Is Relaxium Sleep?
Relaxium Sleep is another natural sleep aid designed to improve sleep quality. It is formulated by Dr. Eric Ciliberti, MD, and sold under the brand name Relaxium. It should be noted that Dr. Ciliberti was trained as an ophthalmologist and has not published anything related to sleep medicine prior to launching this product (1).
The Relaxium Sleep formula contains a variety of ingredients, including Melatonin, L-tryptophan, GABA, and herbal extracts like Valerian and Chamomile. Relaxium has been promoted by notable figures like Mike Huckabee (former governor of Arkansas) and Dan Marino (Former Dolphins quarterback), but celebrity endorsement means little. Additionally, this product claims to be “clinically proven” as a sleep aid, but we will discuss more about the validity of this claim later on in this post.
Which Has The Better Formula?
Quick Answer: Sleepsyl™ and Relaxium both boast formulas based on scientific research and clinical studies, incorporating ingredients known for sleep enhancement. However, Sleepsyl™ seems to provide better dosages.
Long Answer: This is a complex question and so the answer is a bit of a long one. (If it feels too long, skip to the short summary at the end of this section.) To comprehensively evaluate which sleep aid has the superior formula, it’s essential to delve into the ingredients of both Sleepsyl™ and Relaxium.
Sleepsyl™ incorporates a well-thought-out blend of ingredients, each with a specific role in promoting sleep and relaxation:
- L-Ornithine (400mg): This exact dosage of this L-Ornithine was studied and found to have the potential to relieve stress and improve sleep quality (2).
- Valerian Root (300mg): Valerian root is an herbal remedy with sedative and anxiolytic effects, which can make it easier to fall asleep and spend more time in deep sleep. In a 4 week study, 300mg was the amount found to have a positive effect on anxiousness (3).
- Chamomile (200mg): Chamomile has been traditionally used to improve sleep quality and induce sleep. Scientific research indicates that Chamomile can promote and improve sleep (4)
- Passion Flower (200mg): In combination with other herbs, Passion Flower helps to reduce tenseness, restlessness, and irritability with falling asleep (5).
- Lemon Balm (200mg): A combination of Lemon Balm with Valerian has been shown to support anti-anxiety, calming effects that can help to promote sleep (6).
- Hops (100mg): Hops promotes an increase in GABA which calms the central nervous system to facilitate sleep (7).
- L-Taurine (43mg): Taurine is a sulfonic acid that has been found to support better sleep (8).
- Magnolia Bark (37mg): Magnolia bark has been found to decrease the amount of time it takes to fall asleep as well as decrease the frequency of waking up during sleep (9).
- Jujube Extract (32mg): Jujube extract contains flavonoids and saponins that provide sedative effects and contribute to longer and deeper sleep (10).
- Reishi Mushrooms (20mg): Reishi mushrooms are adaptogens that have demonstrated positive anti-insomnia effects (11).
- Melatonin (6mg): Melatonin, often referred to as “the sleep hormone,” helps balance the body’s circadian rhythm, restoring restful sleep and healthy sleep patterns. Melatonin supplementation has been shown to decrease the amount of time that it takes to fall asleep (12).
Relaxium Sleep Formula:
Relaxium Sleep also features a range of ingredients, including Melatonin, L-tryptophan, GABA, and various herbal extracts:
- Melatonin (5mg): Melatonin is a fundamental component of many sleep aids, naturally regulating the sleep-wake cycle and promoting sleep onset.
- L-Tryptophan (500mg): L-Tryptophan is a precursor to both melatonin and serotonin, which is believed to enhance sleep quality and may also have a positive impact on mood (13).
- GABA (100mg): GABA is a neurotransmitter that regulates brain activity, particularly promoting relaxation and reducing cortisol, the stress hormone.
- Valerest (228.9mg): Valerest is a proprietary blend of Valerian Root and Hops, which are known for their calming and sedative effects, potentially aiding in sleep. Relaxium boasts that this product contains this unique blend, but as you can see from the Sleepsyl™ formula, this combination of ingredients is not unique.
- Ashwagandha (125mg): Ashwagandha is an adaptogen known for reducing stress and anxiety, and has been found to improve sleep (14). However, most studies were performed on larger dosages than the amount used in Relaxium Sleep.
- Chamomile (75mg): Chamomile is recognized for its ability to contribute to relaxation.
- Passionflower (75mg): Passionflower, as mentioned above, may help with falling asleep.
TL;DR: Both Sleepsyl™ and Relaxium incorporate clinically researched ingredients such as Melatonin, Valerian, Hops, Chamomile, and Passionflower. However, Sleepsyl™ contains higher dosages of many of the main ingredients. For example, it contains more Melatonin and more combined Valerian and Hops than the 228.9mg Valarest in Relaxium Sleep. For this reason, even though both formulas contain researched ingredient, there are some questions in regards to the potency of Relaxium. Nevertheless, which product is best for you will depend on your unique state of being.
Which Has The Better Reputation?
Quick Answer: Approved Science®, the manufacturer of Sleepsyl™, has a good reputation whereas the reputation of Relaxium is a bit murky.
Long Answer: Sleepsyl™ is made by Approved Science®, a brand with a great reputation. Approved Science® has high standards, GMP certification, third-party testing, and 60-day money-back guarantee that ensures customer satisfaction. Approved Science® has glowing reviews on sites like Review Critic (15), Consumer Health Review (16), as well as CherryPicksReviews (17).
Relaxium is a popular brand due to its celebrity endorsements but it has garnered many negative reviews and left many people angry about the “Mike Huckabee sleep aid”. Relaxium has received 422 complaints on BBB in the last 3 years (18), compared to the 1 complaint received by Approved Science® that was addressed and closed (19). There was even a proposed class action against Relaxium Sleep for false advertising (1). Though the product claims to be “Clinically Tested, Proven Effective”, the study was sponsored by the American Behavioral Research institute which is journal run by Dr. Eric Ciliberti (the man behind Relaxium Sleep). Furthermore, the study used an unrepresentative sample size, and utilized inadequate means of data analysis (1).
Which Has The Better Customer Reviews?
Quick Answer: Sleepsyl™ reviews are generally positive, highlighting improved sleep duration and quality. Relaxium Sleep customer reviews were more varied, with some customers reporting benefits but others expressing concerns about its effectiveness.
Long Answer: Due to the inherently complex nature of supplements and the uniqueness of every person who reaches for a sleep aid, everyone will have a different experience with sleep aids. There are many positive reviews of Sleepsyl™ and more varied reviews when it comes to Relaxium Sleep. One major difference is that there are no reviews reporting side effects caused by Sleepsyl™. Unfortunately, the same cannot be said for Relaxium Sleep.
Are There Side Effects?
Quick Answer: Both Sleepsyl™ and Relaxium claim to be safe with no reported side effects, but it’s advisable to consult a healthcare provider before taking any new supplement.
Long Answer: Sleepsyl™ is a safe, natural sleep aid with no reported side effects. It is made in and FDA-approved facility and in accordance with the Good Manufacturing Practices (GMP). Furthermore, it is third-party tested to ensure purity. However, you should still speak with your doctor before starting Sleepsyl™ as you would before starting any new supplement.
Relaxium Sleep side effects may include sweating, headache, stomach discomfort, and a worsening in fibromyalgia symptoms, according to reviewer Lori’s Amazon review (20). There were some other Relaxium sleep reviews that mentioned headaches and diarrhea. Unlike Sleepsyl™, this product does not claim to be GMP-certified nor third-party tested. These are two important indicators of the safety of a product that Relaxium Sleep lacks.
Which Has The Better Price?
Short Answer: In the long run, Sleepsyl™ has the better price, though Relaxium Sleep seems cheaper at first glance.
Long Answer: The price for Relaxium Sleep varies based on where you buy it from. So, how much does Relaxium Sleep cost? It could cost $36.97 or $44.95 for a one month supply. Both of these prices are lower than the $49.95 that a single bottle of Sleepsyl™ costs. However, several reviews of Relaxium Sleep stated that the consumer had to take more than the recommended daily serving, with some individuals taking up to 4 capsules a day -At that rate, you would need 2 bottles of Relaxium sleep per month, which essentially doubles the cost of the product.
Furthermore, Approved Science® offers package deals which allow you to save big on the cost of Sleepsyl™. A 3-month supply of Sleepsyl™ comes out to $31.95 per bottle and for even more savings, you can order a 6-month supply and only spend $23.30 per bottle. Not to mention the exclusive discounts sent to our mail list and the10% discounts hidden throughout our blog (such as the one later on in this post).
A word of caution regarding Relaxium Sleep: Based on the BBB reviews, Relaxium offers a free trial bottle, but it also signs you up for a subscription and if the bottle is not returned then you are billed in full for the trial bottle. While the chance to try a product for free may be appealing, scheming companies often use these offers to trick you into joining their subscription list. This is why top-quality companies opt for reliable satisfaction guarantees.
Which Has The Better Satisfaction Guarantee?
Short Answer: Approved Science®.
Long Answer: Relaxium offers a 30-day refund policy compared to the 60-day refund policy of Approved Science®.
Where To Buy?
Short Answer: Both Relaxium and Sleepsyl™ are available for purchase on their respective official websites.
Long Answer: Relaxium Sleep can be bought through either the Relaxium website or through tryrelaxium.com via signing up for a free trial and being automatically enrolled in a subscription. Always read the fine print when giving away your credit card information!
Sleepsyl™ can be bought from approvedscience.com/sleepsyl/. However, if you’d like to save 10% on Sleepsyl™, I’d recommend clicking the banner below to redeem your discount.
When it comes to Sleepsyl™ vs Relaxium, they share some ingredients in common, but their reputations are drastically different. Sleepsyl™ has yet to gain the recognition it deserves while Relaxium has been popularized by celebrity endorsements, though whether or not it deserves its acclaim remains in question. There are no official side effects of either product, though customer reviews attest to some Relaxium Sleep side effects. This may be the result of a lack of certification and testing at the Relaxium manufacturing facility. On the other hand, Approved Science® Sleepsyl™ is made in a GMP-certified laboratory, third-party tested, and backed with a 60-day money-back satisfaction guarantee. At the end of the day, Sleepsyl™ comes out to be cheaper that Relaxium Sleep, but you shouldn’t buy supplements based on price alone -reputation is another important factor.
Sleepsyl™ is formulated based on scientific research and has received positive customer feedback regarding its efficacy, while Relaxium has faced legal challenges related to its marketing and hundreds of complaint on BBB. When it comes to asking “which is the best OTC sleep aid to stay asleep longer”, I’ll let you answer but I hope these insights have helped you gain a better understanding of these sleep aids.
TL;DR: Check out the chart below for highlights of the main points.
|Formula||Mixed ingredients with lower dosages||Comprehensive blend with higher dosages|
|Reputation||Many complaints on BBB||High Satisfaction rate|
|Safety||May cause side effects, not third-party tested||No reported side effects; third-party tested|
|Price||Cheaper in the short run||Cheaper in the long run|
|Guarantee||30-day refund policy||60-day money-back guarantee|