You finally decided on which movie to watch. The lights are dimmed. The cushions are soft. You’re completely comfortable, and . . .you’re asleep. The movie plays but all you can see are your dreams. If this sounds like every movie night ever, and you wish that you could actually stay awake long enough to watch the credits start to roll, fret not! This post is your ultimate guide for how to stay awake during a movie.
Step 1: Understand Why You’re So Tired
Before you embark on a cinematic marathon, it’s imperative to know what’s causing those heavy eyelids. Are you not getting enough sleep? Is it the monotonous routine or perhaps a heavy meal? By pinpointing the cause, you’re better equipped to tackle it head-on.
- Avoid Heavy Meals, But Do Eat – A heavy meal before the movie can send your body into a post-food coma. Think “rest and digest”; a high carb meal will encourage your body to rest (1). Additionally, consider that food is energy. Therefore, properly fueling your body before a movie may help you stay awake. Choose to eat a light, nutritious meal that will keep you satiated without making you sluggish.
- Get Enough Sleep – Your first call to action is ensuring you’re well-rested. Aim for a solid 7-9 hours of sleep the night before the movie night, or even use a nap to supplement your sleep total. A well-rested body is less likely to demand a mid-movie nap. If you’re struggling to get sufficient quality sleep, natural herbs may be able to help.
Step 2: Prepare Accordingly
Preparation is key! Now that you’ve identified the culprits, it’s time to get proactive.
- Stay Hydrated – Drink plenty of water to keep your body hydrated and to avoid fatigue. Sometimes, fatigue is just a sign of dehydration.
- Get Your Blood Flowing – Before settling down, make sure to stretch a little or do a quick workout to get the blood flowing. Aerobic exercises, like running or even brisk walking, release endorphins that can promote a more active brain and may help you to stay awake (2). Additionally, raising your core temperature may help you to feel more awake, but when your temperature starts to go back down, you may feel drowsy (2). This is why we recommend getting up during the movie.
- Have A Caffeine Kick – A little caffeine can go a long way in keeping you alert. Enjoy a cup of coffee or tea before the show starts, but not too close to bedtime if you plan on catching some z’s later!
Step 3: Create The Right Environment
The ambiance plays a significant role in your movie-watching experience. If your movie setting looks and feels like your bedtime setting, you could be tricking your brain into thinking its bedtime.
- Brighten Up – Dim lights are an invitation for sleep. Keep the room well-lit to trick your mind into staying awake.
- Check The Volume – Ensure the sound quality is good and at an adequate volume. Poor sound quality or a too low volume might not keep you engaged, making it easier for you to doze off.
- Avoid Cozy Blankets – While a snug blanket might feel comfy, it can also induce sleep. If you tend to feel cold, opt for a light throw instead.
Step 4: Sit Back And Relax
What you do during a movie is equally important as what you do before the movie starts in terms of staying awake.
- Engage In The Movie – Choose a movie that piques your interest, keeping you engaged and less likely to fall asleep.
- Take Breaks – If it’s a long movie, pause it midway for a short break. Stand up, stretch a bit, grab a snack, and then dive back in.
- Avoid Alcohol – It might be tempting to have a beer or some wine, but alcohol can make you sleepy. Stick to non-alcoholic beverages instead.
- Be Social – Try asking a friend or loved one to hold you accountable. If you’re watching with others, discuss the plot or share your thoughts during the movie. Interaction can keep you awake and enhance the experience.
Following these steps should significantly improve your chances of making it to the credits without a snooze. After all, movies are meant to be enjoyed wide awake, letting us escape to different worlds, one reel at a time. So, get more sleep, prepare accordingly, and create the right environment to give the movie magic a chance at keeping you enchanted and awake!
🍿Looking for snacks to enjoy with a movie? Check out our guilt-free keto movie snack recipes! 🍿