Can you mix antifungal and steroid cream?

Asked 2 years ago

Hello, I have a fungal infection that has seemed to go from mild to worse overnight, and it's rather paiful. I have steroid cream in my medkit and some Clotrimazole. Since the steroid cream is an anti-inflammatory, can I use the two together?

Brock Giles

Sunday, April 24, 2022

In an ideal scenario, mixing the two wouldn't hurt. The antifungal cream would clear up the infection while the steroid cream dealt with the inflammation. However, in some cases, steroid creams can worsen fungal infections. Mixing the two is only recommended when you know what kind of nail fungus you're dealing with. Since your infection is worsening, it's recommended that you consult a doctor to get treatment that will clear up the infection once and for all.

Caroline Ikiugu

Wednesday, August 10, 2022

It may be tempting to mix an antifungal cream like clotrimazole with an anti-inflammatory steroid like hydrocortisone to clear up a fungal infection. This is, however, not recommended as the steroid may worsen the infection by causing inflammatory side effects and it may also delay the regeneration of healthy cells in the affected area. There are effective fungal treatments available that can help to quickly and safely clear fungal infections.

Write an answer...

Cancel

Please follow our  Community Guidelines

Can't find what you're looking for?